Monday, January 7, 2008

Top Electronic Music of 2007

OK, so this year I've decided to split my lists into 2. I've listened to so much music this year that I would have trouble creating just one list. I'll be splitting it into 2, Electronic music and Popular Music (which includes indie rock, pop, hip-hop and r&b), lists upon which I will post the top 10 albums and top 25 songs. Today I will post my favorite Electronic music from the year and some mp3's to go along with it.

Top 10 Electronic Albums

10. Teenage Bad Girl - Cocotte

This release from one of the many French Filter House DJs who is not on Ed Banger is packed full with pulsing synths, exciting drumbeats and bad ass production. A very underrated album that should have received more press. It would have probably gained more attention had it not been for the explosion of Justice, but I'm sure in time this album will come to be regarded as a very solid release.
Teenage Bad Girl - Hands of a Stranger

9. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

I was surprised with the unanimous high placing of this album on year end lists across the net. Yes, it is a great album. James Murphy has outdone himself once again with this release, but for me the album grew boring quickly. While this phenomenon usually occurs with all music for me, my ebb for this CD has yet to recede. I have yet to come back to this CD for another round of listening. I guess, while more expansive and mature, it reminds me too much of 2005's debut CD.
LCD Soundsystem - Time To Get Away

8. Air - Pocket Symphony

Many say this album is not as great as Air's previous releases, however I find it to be quite a memorable CD. I was addicted to it throughout the summer and would often find myself listening to it on summer mornings as the sun rose and I prepared for my dreadful summer classes. The somber tone throughout the CD resonated with my discontent in having to partake in a summer session. This should have been on more Best Of lists.
Air - One Hell of a Party

7. Shinichi Osawa - The One

At the time of constructing this list I placed this album at number 7, it's been about a week since then and I'm thinking to myself how much higher this should have been. I've been listening to this album more and more and it's appeal grows on me each time. I find myself humming some of the lyrics from this album, a feat usually only achieved with pop albums. I could see this having an immensely longer listening life than the Justice CD. For now I feel 7 is a good spot for it.
Shinichi Osawa - Star Guitar

6. Daft Punk - Alive 2007

Oh my god, when I close my eyes and allow the music to immerse itself around me it feels as if I am back at the Greek show (or Vegoose, whichever) enjoying the greatest concert ever. As I listened to this album on my iPod for the first two weeks I had it a smile was always present on my face. I must have looked like a mad man, sitting on BART slightly smiling and bopping my head to big beat electronic. I didn't care! This album is great, and is a must have for anyone who attended their live shows in 2006-2007.
No Song Available

5. Boys Noize - Oi Oi Oi

A friend of mine who is not into much electronic music, with the exception of the Punks and Justice, described this as a boring album with Justice sounding synth that never stops. If only he knew how wrong he is! This album is far from boring, and while the sounds may be similar to Justice, it in some ways is a lot superior. The only failing aspect of this album is it's incredible length. I can never make it through in just one listen. Still a solid release, I definitely look forward to hearing more Boys Noize in the future. (His remixes are insane!!!!)
Boys Noize - The Battery

4. Digitialism - Idealism

Who knew Germans could be so catchy? When I listen to other German electronic music, which is quite good, I find it slow, relaxed and atmospheric. This is in your face poppy electronic music, in the vein of Daft Punk and Junior Jack. This album is best when listened to in full and unlike Oi Oi Oi, I was able to do so on a number of occasions. Pogo is pure pop bliss, Idealism is pop indifference and one of my favorite tracks Home Zone pays homage to the art of throwing and promoting a house party.
Digitialism - Zdarlight

3. Justice - †

Justice first gained widespread attention with their remix of Simian's never be alone. A superb remix by any definition, but to ever imagine the developments that have occurred throughout their careers since then would have been unfathomable. Justice have done what every other electronic act since Daft Punk have failed to do. They have become mainstream, they were able to break America, they were able to put Paris back on the map. While † may not be the greatest album in terms of innovation and musical genius, the hype and acclaim that surrounds it warrants it a top spot on this list. Just look at many of the reviews prior to this, Justice is used as a reference point musically more than once, for proof. They have become icons in the Electronic music scene, there is not one act who wouldn't want to follow in their footsteps. 2007 was the year Justice was brought upon the world!
Justice - DVNO

2. Burial - Untrue

This is an album that I discovered late in the year and fell in love with. I had not heard Burial's self titled debut prior to this ( I since have and it is great too) and found this to be a gem. I listen to this while falling asleep, it mystifies the silence of the night and allows for a peaceful sleeping experience. There's not much more I can say about this that hasn't already been said. The voices are beautiful, the crackling is enchanting the mystic surrounding the music is truly wonderful.
Burial - In McDonalds

1. Simian Mobile Disco - Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release

Fuck Mezzanine, I wanted to see these guys when they came here but I am not 21, yet. Their live show looks interesting, and it would surely add to the greatest of their music. I began listening to this album around the same time as † and I do truly feel that this album is a lot better. I've listened to † more, but can honestly say I would rather be stranded on an island with this instead. This album did not place as high as I would have imagined on other Year End lists, which is understandable. Justice was the token Electronic act this year, however I expect these guy's sophomore release to become as mainstream as justice. Listen to Hustler and tell me that couldn't take the place of Smack My Bitch Up in American popular culture!
Simian Mobile Disco - Love

So how much do you disagree with my top 10? Whatever, at least mine is different from the other lists I've read. It's truly how I feel too. I wasn't feeling LCD as much as everyone else and I really liked SMD! Okay, now onto the top 25 Electronic singles. Sorry NO descriptions for these.

1.Simian Mobile Disco - Tits & Acid
2.Feist - My Moon My Man (Boys Noize Remix)
3. Modeselektor - Silikon (Siriusmo Remix)
4. Justice - DVNO
5. TEPR - Minuit Jacuzzi (datA Remix)
6. Boys Noize - &Down
7. Daft Punk - Face to Face/Short Circuit
8. Justice - D.A.N.C.E.
9. Boys Noize - The Battery
10. Klaxons - It's Not Over Yet (BONDOWSKI Remix)
11. Digitalism - Pogo
12. Cut Copy - Hearts on Fire
13. Efdemin - Knocking At The Grand
14. LCD Soundsystem - Get Innocuous
15. Hercules & Love Affair - Blind
16. Sebastian - Walkman Re-edit
17. Does It Offend You, Yeah? - We Are Rockstars
18. Bag Raiders - Fun Punch

19. Danger - 11h30
20. New Young Pony Club - Get Lucky (MSTRKRFT Remix)
21. Bot'Ox - Babylon By Car
22. Dead Disco - You're Out (Frank Musik Remix)
23. TEPR - Coke & Crème
24. Metromony - Radio Ladio
25. Chromatics - I Want Your Love

1 comment:

Matthew Andrew Drake said...

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=246805462&blogID=339841917