Monday, February 25, 2008

Disco Themed Post

I'm back, with only a day in between the last post, I believe that is a first for this blog. I'm really wanting to get on Hype Em so I'm going to change up some of the dynamics of the posts. I guess I'm trying to sell out to the mannnnn, man. Anyways, I've been in a good mood all day there have been plenty of reasons to feel great. It was sunny here in San Francisco for the first time in a week, I've got a great line of concerts coming up and music is just so good right now. So why not post some DISCO, well OK not disco but disco themed music. Every song in this post can be connected to disco, so let's get started.

LCD Soundsystem - Freakout / Starry Eyes

Being totally amazed and surprised with each new song I hear by this NYC band is something I've come to expect. James Murphy is a musical genius, he is the elite, there is no one better today. This blog has featured many DFA acts before and will continue to do so in the future because everything James Murphy does is grand. (Can I become an intern at the DFA Studios now?) Seriously though, this song is really good. It's pure disco and so great. It's an authentic tune as well, it would fit right in on the studio 54 soundtrack. The DFA are perfectionists who always put out quality work and this double track b-side proves it.

I think we can all figure out the disco connection here.

Dead Disco - Automatic

I've been into this band for quite some time now. Apparently the lead singer left and is now doing solo elctro work under the name Little Boots. I'd post that track but I figure everyone has already heard it as it's exploded across the net. So are Dead Disco still together? Whatever the case may be the few songs they do have are off the chains. This is another solid single, do check out the video as they are hot as hell. I'm really at a loss for words in regards to comparing them with another band, they aren't innovative but they do have a distinctive sound. And the disco connection is in the name. Even though it is the proclamation of disco's death.

datA - 7 Months To Forget

Here's some electro from remix extraordinary datA. This is part of a 4 song EP that is nothing short of amazing. Some really great beats are presented on this release and this happens to be my most favorite song from it. The song has a great 2 minute build up which leads to a bridge that is climatic. Defiantly invokes laser imagery which is what what the ep is called. And that is the link to disco, lasers were often utilized at disco techs.

Calvin Harris - I Created Disco

Finally a true disco tune. If disco sounded anything like faux electro. I always find it funny that this album is entitled I Created Disco when it possess electronic sounds. But then again electronic music is somewhat based off of disco, so it works. And I'd like to correct myself, in the last post I stated that Calvin Harris was from Ireland when in fact we all know he's really from Scotland.

That's all for today. Later.

No comments: