Friday, February 29, 2008

Listen to These Ting Tings


The Ting Tings - Great DJ

Apparently the NME is already all over this band, I've only purchased that magazine a few times in my life, so I wouldn't know. I guess a band is big when NME loves them? Maybe that applies to England and the rest of Europe but here in the States most bands that NME champions are relatively unknown. The Ting Ting's may be unknown here for longer, they write catchy Dance-Punk, which seems to be en Vogue once more, and have a hot female vocalist. Bands with female vocalists usually explode, and with the exception of No Doubt, fade away after only one or two hits. (The Donnas, Northern State, The Cardigans, and soon to be Paramore) Hopefully this doesn't happen to The Ting Ting's, they are too good to fade into obscurity.

The Ting Tings - Great DJ (Calvin Harris Remix)

Here's a remix from a man whose been getting plenty of mentioning on my blog, Calvin Harris. You may not approve of his LP, but this remix is ace. You can't deny it's greatness. It makes the song even more of a club worthy track, hyping it with a harder drum track, more shouts, echoes and synth. What I like about it most is that it still manages to keep the rock and roll feel too it. You know, the organic feeling that comes when a song is recorded in lo-fi and production isn't as slick as mainstream rock or electronic music.

Kylie Minogue - In My Arms

In My Arms is by far my favorite Kylie track off of X. It possesses the same amount of playfulness as WOW without the annoying WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW, which allows the track to reach new heights of superiority. This was the track that led me to speculate Calvin Harris's involvement on X. Contrary to the title, which reminded me of Mylo.

Kylie Minogue - I'm In The Mood For Love

That's not to say British DJ and producer Mylo was not involved with X. He was in fact a producer for Kylie, however his tracks did not make it onto the album. Luckily for us, they appeared on the net a few weeks ago. Here's one of them. I can see why they might not have been chosen. This song is very good, it's just not in line with Kylie's type of music. Her music is less serious and much more playful. It's still a very good track, just not right for her.

Teenage Bad Girl - Ghost House

With posts featuring Kylie, Rihanna, and Calvin Harris I'm beginning to feel as if my blog is getting a little to poppy. I need to bring focus back towards the music that made me want to start this in the first place. Here's a solid track from Teenage Bad Girl's 2007 album Cocotte which was featured on my best of list. This is a medium tempo track which ideally would play in your car as your race past a city skyline on a dark and chilly night. It reminds me alot of Kavinsky in the sense that it doesn't really go anywhere. No real climax, no noticeable changes in the song, yet it refrains from becoming boring and tedious. One of my favorite tracks from the album.

Kissy Sell Out - Her (Touche Remix)

This track is an absolute onslaught of Filter House. It's got all the dynamics a song in this genre should possess. It's actually quite old, but I've been listening to it alot again recently so I felt like sharing it. Definitely check out more Kissy Sell Out, it's all so good.

No comments: